Monday, March 7, 2011

Day One - Thrown Right Into the Mix

Today I worked with one student in particular during the history lesson.  It was nice to get a chance to work one-on-one with a student to encourage understanding of WWI, especially since I haven't taught WWI to a history class ever!!!

It was interesting to try and get a gauge on his understanding.  He has been in the class for over four weeks now, but didn't seem able to explain the note-taking system.  Was it because he doesn't understand it, or he was reticent to explain?  I guess I will get a better understanding tomorrow when I see his notes; plus, I will probably talk to the teacher to see how he has done on notes in the past.

The thing that I keep on thinking about was how I feel like I have suddenly been thrown into a totally unfamiliar situation and how lost I feel in the situation; but, I am educated and somewhat confident. What must it be like for new arrivals to the States who all of a sudden find themselves in a totally new environment?  I guess for all the unsettled feelings I've been having about what student teaching will be like, my future students will have the same feelings about their studies, but unlike me, they will have a whole lot less control of the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment