Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 9 - Block Schedule

There is a lot of debate and teacher feelings regarding the block schedule.  One of the things that I really like about the block schedule is some of the activities you can do with students.  Yesterday and today we took some of the time for students to draw and explain the settings of the book we are currently reading.  It was good to see the students able to actually represent what the places should look like.  I think it gave the students a lot better understanding of the book we are reading.  It took a lot of time - time that I don't think would have been given in a regular schedule.

One of the things I dislike about block schedules is the sheer amount of time.  In order to keep students engaged and from getting bored, you have to have multiple activities for each block.  This is great, but sometimes, the class seems to be really disjointed.  I think it is sometimes difficult to have the transitions not only occur in a timely manner, but also in a way that it is really a transition instead of starting something completely new.  Making smooth transitions, I guess, is something I can be thinking about as I continue to student teach in a block schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment