Thursday, March 31, 2011

Day 19 - ESL Population Diversity

One thing that I have been thinking a lot about is different ESL populations and how it can really change the dynamics of your classroom.  I have taught the same lessons to a population of ESL students all with DPI Levels of 2s and 3s and to a general classroom with a few students with DPI levels of 3-5.  I am amazed at how much better in some ways that the ESL students are doing with the material. It makes me realize that my current teaching experience where the students come from a predominately Spanish background is so different than my experience where I taught students with a Hmong background.  It has just been interesting to realize that the differences of language and culture can really make a difference. 

I am really grateful for having a chance to work with a different ESL population.  I feel like it is making me a better teacher.  It has definitely broadened my experience and made it more realistic to American demographics.

No comments:

Post a Comment