Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 8 - Jumping In

Today was a day of meetings.  Don't get me wrong, I really don't enjoy meetings, but I decided to try and experience as much as possible this month in the realm of the world of education.  I didn't need to go to any of the meetings, which made me not feel so bad about ditching the last one.

The first meeting was an IEP.  Due to the size of my past schools, I had never really gotten a chance to experience an IEP.  It was a very interesting learning experience.  It makes me feel like it is one more aspect of the educational experience that I understand better.  It makes me feel like I could go to future IEPs with less trepidation.

The second meeting was regarding literacy.  It was so interesting.  The person running the meeting goes a mile a minute and had so much to share and give.  It really made me wonder about how my ELLs used to complain about my speed of conversation.  I know my dad often gives up even trying to follow some of the conversations I have with my mom (because of how quickly we jump topics and don't finish thoughts because the other has picked up on what we are saying).

The final meeting was going to be the Latino Parent Meeting.  I had never thought about what language the meeting would be in, a really stupid thing to fail to consider.  Anyway, the IEP today was translated into Spanish, and although I was amazed at how many words I recognized (from my four years of Spanish in high school), my brain didn't really have it in me to go to a meeting in a foreign language that wouldn't be translated.  Again, I understand why students sometimes can feel language overload.

No comments:

Post a Comment