Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day Four - Bias

Madison is an interesting place to be now given all of the hubbub surrounding the new budget battle.  The schools of Madison are even more interesting given the impact the new budget will have on teachers.

Today, I sat in on a history class, and the issue came up as part of an extra credit assignment.  I have been amazed at how one-sided the presentations and discussions have been about the issue.  It actually pains me to know that students don't seem to be learning about both sides of the issue, only one side.

As an educator, I firmly believe that I need to present a balanced view on events.  I may have my opinion on a situation, but it is more important to instill in students the ability to think critically, so that they can make informed decisions of their own.  I need to make sure that my opinions are presented as opinions.      2 + 2 = 4, but in English and History classes there are less clear answers, just like answers in life aren't always simplistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment