Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 7 - Evaluation

Today I had my first evaluation.  It is always interesting to get another person's perspective on your lessons, especially someone not as closely related to the situation and the students.  In a lot of ways, their assessment has less bias, and they look at the whole situation with a new set of eyes.

I really enjoyed getting a new perspective on my lesson.  It was also helpful to share what I was thinking and reflecting on and get immediate feedback.

Regarding the actual lesson, as I was looking through their timed writing assignments I realized I should have explained the question better.  I asked students: What are the Hunger Games?  Would you like to participate in the Hunger Games?  I should have clarified and told students that I wanted them to talk about the actual games, and not about the book, The Hunger Games.  I realize now that this was an example where I needed to be more specific and explain the directions better.  It is also an instance where having English as your second language makes it easier to miss the question because you miss nuances like italics and subject/verb agreement.

No comments:

Post a Comment