Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 13 - Cultural Perspective

Today we were talking about social protest before beginning the play A Raisin in the Sun.  One of the examples I had used in the past was Tienanmen Square.  Since I have a student from China, I asked her if she could share anything.  I wasn't expecting her to say: "Oh, that is when people in my country were protesting for more rights and the government oppressed them."  But I was expecting her to be able to say something.  Even something about the location or what is surrounding it.

After I gave a brief synopsis, I heard her say something about how that was when a bad man lit himself on fire.  I don't know the all the particulars, but I just realized how much culture can play a role in how you see things.  I saw oppression and she saw a shameful act.

No comments:

Post a Comment