Friday, March 11, 2011

Day Five - Experience

Wow, what a crazy week it has been.  My head is reeling from all of the things that I have been learning.  Sometimes I think that there are just way too many ideas and questions bouncing around in my head.

This morning my cooperating teacher and I sat down to plan the next week.  It was so helpful to get a chance to hash out details.  So far it has been a challenging experience, but I have gotten a chance to learn about one topic that wasn't really clear in my classes until I experienced it: co-teaching.

Collaboration is a buzz word in education right now, with its companion co-teaching.  I always really struggled to understand what collaboration would really look like until this experience.  We are planning together, she is treating me as an equal, we are both teaching different aspects.  It has just really opened my eyes to the benefits of co-teaching.

On another note about experience, this morning we were talking about mentors in one's life following a journal activity.  Students shared and a lot of information about their lives and stories came to the surface.  In ESL classes I feel like their stories are so important, largely because many of them are literally coming from somewhere else.  In the busyness of teaching, I need to forever remember that I am teaching individuals with their own story.

No comments:

Post a Comment